Hi to everyone here,
This is Teresa Summers. I have worked at the LMT since October of last year. I don't know most of you people and I don't think most of you know me. I don't usually post here because it is just not my thing, but I would like to, just this once, say a couple of things about Stacy, Bob and my work place.
I left Scientology in April of 1999. At that time, I had never read ARS and had never met Bob or Stacy or Jesse. I live in Dunedin, which is just outside of Clearwater, so I did know about Lisa's death because it was in the newspaper and I read the paper. I never heard her name mentioned within the halls of the Flag buildings, where I was on services right up until the day I walked out the door.
I initially wrote to the the LMT for some guidance. I had been in Scientology for 20 years and when I came out it was difficult. I went through a lot of crap that I have now learned many people go through when they leave Scientology. Depression, anger, self-recrimination. Recognition that I had been duped; recognition that I had allowed myself to be duped. Repulsion as I educated myself about this organization and all the secret, horrible things they do to people. Repulsion at myself for being so damn stupid....
Anyway, eventually Jesse asked me to help with someone they were dealing with, which I did. Also, I had written a lot of letters to various government agencies in an attempt to get some of my money back and since I was successful and Stacy liked my work, she eventually offered me a job.
Since that time, I have learned a lot. And I have spoken with probably about a hundred people from all over the world whos lives have been adversely impacted by scientology. That is what I do at the LMT, by the way. I deal with people. Every day. I can categorize for you the top problems that people encounter, although most of you probably already know these:
1) People trying to get back advanced payments after they have decided to no longer take courses/auditing. There are tons of these and they take a long time and a lot of work but I am pretty successful helping people here.
2) Parents whose young adult children have suddently up and left college and told them "I have joined the Church of Scientology. I won't be talking with you for a while....." This freaks parents out. The kid disappears and goes out of touch and the parents often times don't even know where their child is. Its scary for them.
3) Families who are upset that their father/mother/child/sister/brother has disconnected from them because they have dared voice an opinion against Scientology. Often times, you have a Scientologist disconnecting from someone who doesn't know much about Scientology. They don't know how Scientology works...how it uses the suppressive person cocept to sever family relations and hold fast their recruit. This has to be explained to them and advice given on how to maintain the relationship.
4) Former Scientologists who just need someone to talk to, or who experienced terrible ordeals that they have kept inside for a long time and now want to share. Of course there are also,
5) Former Scientolgists who just need someone to talk to and experienced horrible ordeals that they don't want to share publicly. They FEAR their former "church." This includes people who were held in isolation; who were offloaded after suffering psychotic breaks during auditing; who were offloaded due to illness that was supposed to be handled by auditing but was not; that lost a child to a scientology spouse because they were to afraid to fight etc.
6) Professionals or their spouses who have been screwed by one of the WISE consulting firms. This includes dentists, chiropractors and veterinarians who got caught up in the scam and have now lost their business; or the spouse whose husband/wife was just taking some management courses and now they have sold their practice, joined staff, declared bankruptcy and abandoned their family. This actually happens. There are children out there who have lost happy families and one parent all because dad decided to take a management course.
7) Crazy OTs. I mean it. I am simply astonished by the number of people who have audited OT VII for YEARS and are physically ill or breaking down mentally and emotionally. The LMT has received more than one call from an OT VII from a psychiatric ward.
Ok, there is more but you get the jist. Now, what I want to say is: that is what the LMT is all about, really. We want to stop this organization from freely creating such devestation. People are being hurt. Families are being torn apart. The lives of children are being ruined all because of Scientology.
Bob Minton is not, by far, a perfect man (ha ha to him), but he is a really great man. He is quite a character, but that just makes him fun. He didn't launder money in Nigeria, but he did wave the Threep in the window of the CB. But hey, give me a break. We had a lot of fun with that Threep and when you are on the front lines of Scientology attacks, as he is, if you can even maintain a sense of humor, well that says a lot.
Heres a little anecdote for you. Stacy was just pacing the halls of the LMT when that Threep came in there. She knew Bob was going to go out and get in trouble with it. She tried to speak to him calmly about it and suggest that we just keep it inside.
HA HA. Bob was like, "Thanks for your opinion, honey. OK, who wants to parade the streets with the Threep!"
All the guys went...and Tory. Me and Stacy are the only real pansies around that place.
Anyway, the only reason I am able to sit in my office and take calls all day and try to Help those who have been victimized by Scientology -- and they have been victimized, and abused abandoned robbed and defrauded -- is because of Bob Minton. I love and respect him and am grateful to him every single day of my life.
Now Stacy...well that is another story. You know, two months after I began working at the Trust, long before I had known Stacy long enough to even form a solid opinion of her, someone who shall remain nameless (Patricia Greenway) started sending me these weird emails. In them, she said that Stacy was a manipulative person, that the LMT was a disorganised mess, that I was the only person getting anything done around there (and I didn't even know her nor she me at this time) and she suggested that she knew I was not able to talk frankly with Stacy.
It sort of freaked me out. But, seeing as how I was working for Stacy, I went to her about it. It appeared to me an obvious attempt by the nameless person (Patricia Greenway) to manipulate me. She was even flattering me, which normally I am very receptive to, but I knew Patricia didn't even know what I was doing at the LMT let alone whether or not I was doing a good job.
Anyway, I left it with Stacy at that time and just tried to stay below the radar of the nameless person. Unfortunately, I accompanied Stacy to Leipzig a couple of weeks ago, so I was a witness to the whole nameless person blow up. All I really want to say about that is two things:
1) When we first arrived in Leipzig, I was introduced to Ursula Caberta. Stacy and I met her in the lounge of our hotel. One of the first things Ursula said was "I spoke with Patricia. What is it with this fight the two of you are having?" And with complete graciousness, Stacy replied, "What fight with Patricia? I don't think we are fighting," then, she steered the subject to our work.
2) The rest of it is only important because this nameless person is taking time and attention away from the work at hand. All of us at the LMT have tried to ignore it. As Bob said, he has been trying to deal with it for months and months. It would not handle for the simple reason that the person pushing it did not want it to handle. You have no idea how many calls I had to take at work, and that Stacy and Jesse had to take, regarding this TIME WASTING MESS CREATED BY THE NAMELESS PERSON!!!! It has been a real pain in the ass.
It was unnecessary. Stacy is far from evil. Believe me, I have watched her at work. She cares a lot. She is very smart. She deals with a lot. How many of you have called her when you needed help? When you needed money? A referral? Some advice? I have not yet witnessed manipulation from her. I witness a lot of strength of character. Hell, she has to deal with Minton! And Jesse! And attorneys and Scientology law suits and all the other employees at the LMT and running the business and did I mention Minton and Jesse?
Anyway, I love her a lot. She only wants to help and she has already suffered greatly in helping. And any of you who think she controls Bob don't know either one of them well enough. You can control Bob about as much as you can control a comet. Does she tell him what she thinks? Gee....why not? Does he sometimes listen? Perhaps. Guess what. Even I tell Bob what I think. And, I think he listens.
So, they are two of my heros. They are my heros because they are allowing me to fight against a terrible institution that hides its evil political plans behind the shield of goodness. Because by allowing me to help others, I have been able to recover much faster myself from my personal experience with that evil. This is important to me because it filters down to my children. They are better cared for because I work at the LMT; because I am a better person.
In closing, I want to share one more little story with you that I hope will refocus all of this and reiterate what ALL of us at the LMT are really working for and against.
In February of this year, an older gentleman came into our office. He was distraught. I sat and spoke with him for about an hour.
It seems his son, who was in his late forties, had been involved with Scientology for many years. He had been auditing OT VII for a long, long time and was now in a psychiatric ward after having tried to kill himself three times. This father was trying everything he could think of to help his son. He was desperate not to lose him.
After speaking with him, I learned that the problem was the son could not accept the help of anyone outside of Scientology, but Scientology would not help him. The son was having a problem with these body thetans and since Scientology wouldn't help him any longer, he felt no one could help him.
Well, the only thing I could think to do was hook the son up with another OT VII that he could talk to. Someone who could discuss body thetans as if they were real...at least long enough to get the son stabilized. And it did work, somewhat. The two OTs spoke and the son was able to be released from the hospital.
But, he was not in good shape. Scientology had abandoned him; and he had done a lot for them. He couldn't pull it together. Many people tried to help him, none of them Scientologists.
I just learned this morning that he killed himself.
He is not the first. I don't believe he will be the last. But I do hope and do work every single day with the hope that some day, this will end.
I have a picture of Lisa McPherson on my wall. I never forget her. I never forget the guy that died in the bath tub at the FH (Richard Havenath) or the one who died in the FH of an epileptic seizure because he quit taking seizure medicine so he could receive auditing (scientology claims no responsiblity -- it was his choice.) I never forget Tory and her own battle with epilepsy and what she endured. I never foget Astra and Zoe and my own daughter, Maegan who were neglected and abused as children of the Sea Org. I never forget Heather, or Sherri and Daphne or Ed and Tara or Greg and Deb and Cathy and Taylor and Jesse and Stacy and Vaughn and Alice (dead) and Casper (dead) or Albert Jacquier (dead).
I never forget them and neither do Stacy or Bob or Jesse or Mark or Jeff and Dee or Bob or Heather or even Ingrid. That's what it's really all about.
>Anyway, I left it with Stacy at that time and just tried to stay below the
>radar of the nameless person.
Theresa thank you for posting this.
I have been pondering for days if I should enter my two cents worth into the seemingly endless saga of Patricia Geenway, (Queen of DevT), or also remain "below the radar". I am posting now for several reasons, but chiefly because I think it important that people know:
1. That Bob, Stacy and all of the LMT staff work selflessly to help those harmed by scientology, and nearly always at a great emotional cost to themselves. I recall asking Stacy at dinner one evening, after a particularly emotional day, how she manages to afford the emotional toll her work takes on her, dealing DAILY with the horrors created by scientology. Her reply: "Randy, who else is going to do it ?" Stacy Brooks is without a doubt one of the most courageous and loving individuals it has been my distinct honor to know.
2. That I believe I know Bob Minton well enough by now to know that his decision to post this whole Patricia Greenway affair to ARS was NOT born in haste or without a good deal of thought. This problem has been brewing for nearly a year now. Bob and Stacy have attempted NUMEROUS times to resolve the matter, always with the same result, namely, Patricia's absolute refusal to own up to her own actions, and her subsequent attempts to hurt anyone she perceived to be in her way. Bob's patience in this matter has been FAR greater than I would have demonstrated.
As all the folks at the Lisa McPherson Trust know, I have also been a target of Patricia's "infallible judgement".
I received almost the identical sort of communications from Patricia regarding her assertions about Stacy's "incompetence" and how "someone with better administrative skills" needed to take charge. Little doubt was left in my mind as to exactly *who* Patricia thought was most suited to this task. At the time I had absolutely no idea how much time and effort Patricia had been putting into her campaign and the number of different individuals that she had contacted in this manner. I had decided that this was "gossip" on Patricia's part, or possibly some unresolved dispute between Patricia and Stacy that I had no part in. I had decided to not concern myself with it further until I casually asked another LMT staff member about this curious behavior of Patricia. Upon learning of the real depth and true nature of this matter I felt in necessary to advise Bob and Stacy of Patricia's allegations.
When Patricia learned that I had advised Stacy, the result was a bit surprising. Word got back to me that I was accused by Patricia of being a liar, an OSA agent, or at the very least being "duped" by OSA. I even heard that I may have even been "investigated" by Patricia. So much for the legendary "infallibility" of Ms. Greenway.
I recall Bob telling me that he had told Patricia, "that for him to believe that she was being truthful he would have to believe that EVERYONE else was lying".
Apparently Patricia has decided that she MUST win, regardless of the cost or who she hurts in the process. Another entity called *scientology* that behaves in precisely this manner.
As for Patricia: Your actions have been, at best dishonorable, and at worst malicious. I sincerely wish you put as much time and energy into fighting the abuses of scientology as you have undermining those who do. That, of course, would require you to put others before yourself, something that I am now uncertain you may be capable of. Should you need an example of how to do that, you need look no further than Bob Minton and Stacy Brooks.
Finally Theresa, Thanks for the words about the Threep :)
Randy Enerson SP6